Social Media Cover Art

Match of the Week

 

Third-ranked UCLA is hosted by fourth-ranked Stanford this week. Both teams, 8-2 in MPSF play, are tied with Long Beach, who plays UC San Diego and UC Irvine this week, for control of the the MPSF. While this match takes place on Sunday at 7:00pm Pacific Time, UCLA plays at Pepperdine and Stanford hosts UC Santa Barbara earlier in the week. This match could determine who will be the leader of the MPSF going into week 7.

 

wk 6 motw

A more visual comparison of each team’s fundamentals can be seen in the image to the right. Both teams have had similar schedules so far, playing many of the same teams. Stanford’s only losses came on the road to Long Beach and BYU, snapping BYU’s 36 home game win streak while splitting two five-set matches. UCLA’s losses came on the road in Hawaii while splitting matches and at home against UC Irvine in 5. Both teams have played well against other quality teams, so this should be a fun match to watch.
 
When comparing these teams to the VolleyMetrics Rating Index, their high ratings are very strongly supported. Stanford, No. 4 in the Coaches Poll, finds itself in the top spot in the VMRI. UCLA is third in both the VMRI and AVCA Coaches Poll. While UCLA has the advantage in serving, Stanford a slight edge in every other skill. With home court advantage, Stanford is predicted to win with an expected win percentage of 69% leaving a 31% expected win percentage for UCLA. With both teams playing well and looking to claim the top spot in the MPSF, this match could have large ramifications for both the standings in the MPSF and the AVCA Coaches Poll.

Rally of the Week

 

This week’s video comes from the match between Long Beach and USC. When looking at the top ten longest rallies, this match had the top three, so all three are featured in the video below.

SHARE THIS

Corley Bagley

Corley Bagley

Director of Analytics

VolleyMetrics

  • An Open Letter From Giuseppe Vinci

    An Open Letter From Giuseppe Vinci

    An open letter to VolleyMetrics family and friends—and every person out there with a passion. Today is a big day for all of us: VolleyMetrics signed a formal agreement to be acquired by Hudl, the global leader in sports video and analysis. As formal as our announcement may sound, this was a very natural decision once I saw how a partnership with Hudl could increase our ability to improve the …
  • Men’s Conference Tournament Breakdowns

    Men’s Conference Tournament Breakdowns

    This past week, the MPSF and the MIVA started their conference tournaments, and now, the EIVA and Conference Carolinas will begin theirs. For this blog post, we will break down some analysis for the four teams in each of these conferences, as well as each team’s probability in winning their conference tournament. We will also include the VolleyMetric ratings on each team. Note that the team that is bolded is …
  • Men’s Match of the Week 15 & MPSF/MIVA 1st Round Predictions

    Men’s Match of the Week 15 & MPSF/MIVA 1st Round Predictions

    This week, the MPSF and the MIVA will begin their tournaments, while the EIVA and Conference Carolinas will finish their last week of the regular season. Long Beach State and BYU are the top two teams in the MPSF, while Ohio State and Lewis are the top teams in the MIVA. We have displayed the ratings for each team in each of these tournaments, as well is their first round …
  • Match of the Week – Week 14

    Match of the Week – Week 14

    This will be the last Match of the Week for the regular season, as most teams are finishing up their season this week. As we look at the AVCA rankings, Long Beach State is the new number one team in the country following Ohio State’s lost to Penn State earlier last week. It’ll be interesting to see how things finish up this week and how seeding will work out going …
  • Analysis Shows an Increase of Serves Leads to a Higher Win Percentage

    Analysis Shows an Increase of Serves Leads to a Higher Win Percentage

    In the last few weeks, our statisticians at VolleyMetrics have been analyzing matches and trying to find a skill or stat that is highly correlated to winning a match. We’ve analyzed attacking efficiency, side out percentage, and many others, but they have finally found the highest correlation: serving. Serving is one of the most basic skills in volleyball. Every point begins with a serve, and teams can get a big …